Benefits Of Pet Therapy


If you have a pet you know they can make you happier.  But more and more research is showing they can make you healthier as well!  A program at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau, Mo. is proving how vital man's best friend can be.
"Pet therapy is known historically to decrease blood pressure, decrease anxiety, help with motivation, decrease pain," said Dr. Heidi Hunter, the medical director of inpatient rehab at Saint Francis.
"He makes me feel better when he's laying beside me on the bed," said Annie McCormick or Poplar Bluff, Mo. who is a patient in the rehab center.  "I don't hurt as bad when he's with me."
Dr. Hunter brings her 4-year-old golden retriever, Buddy, to Saint Francis to work with McCormick and other patients as part of the hospital's pet therapy program.  
"I tried multiple medication, I tried ice. Just really nothing worked." said Dr. Hunter. "The first day she met Buddy she just connected with him.  It's like she doesn't have pain for that 30 minutes," Dr. Hunter added.

Comments